Santa Clara County Fire Department
FREE Preparing Caregivers for Medical Emergencies
This class is good for different types of caregivers: caregivers for the elderly or clients with access and functional needs, nannies, or babysitters.
The purpose of this class is to provide you with the knowledge and tools needed to help you and your client(s) prepare for a medical emergency.
Program topics may include:
- Your Role As a Caregiver During Emergencies: Learn what you will need to do to be an efficient and effective caregiver to handle a medical emergency.
- How to Identify a Medical Emergency: What symptoms necessitate a 9-1-1 call for first responder assistance and why.
- Understanding the EMS System: Identify and discuss how emergency resources are utilized within Santa Clara County.
- Calling 9-1-1 in an Emergency: Learn what 7 questions a 9-1-1 Dispatcher needs answers to and how to be prepared to answer them.
- Give Emergency Responders What They Need: Understanding what paramedics and firefighters need after they arrive on scene.
- Be Prepared and communicate with your client: Obtain current medical information and create an emergency contact list. Learn about where you can register to become CPR and First Aid certified.
To register, please call the Helpline at (650) 326-6686 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.